Thursday, June 11, 2009

Leaders Learn to Stop Gossip Quickly

LEADERSHIP Series: Leader’s Immediate Stop Busybodies and Gossips

Leviticus 19:16 - "Do not go about spreading slander among your people.

Proverbs 11:13 (NLT) A gossip goes around revealing secrets, but those who are trustworthy can keep a confidence.

(AMP) He who goes about as a talebearer reveals secrets, but he who is trustworthy and faithful in spirit keeps the matter hidden.

Matthew 12:36-37 (NIV) But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

Psalms 39:1 I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth as long as the wicked are in my presence.


Alan Redpath has developed the following acrostic to help manage gossip saying, “If what I am about to say does not pass those tests, I will keep my mouth shut!” Think!
T - Is it true?
H - Is it helpful?
I - Is it inspiring?
N - Is it necessary?
K - Is it kind?
James Fowler has developed an interesting outline about the subject, including the various Hebrew and Greek words generally translated “gossip.” It is worth the time to review if this is a problem in your network, church or your own life.

1. Discuss Redpath’s list: How do you make it real?

2. Read Fowler’s list and discuss how it applies to your work environment. To your church life. To your personal life.


Copyright ©2009 by P. Griffith Lindell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting - your thoughts are appreciated.